Authentic Gujarati Dal Recipe
Gujarati Dal is a delicious side dish best served with Rice or Roti. Dal Bhat (Dal Rice) is an essential part of Gujarati Thali. Here I am sharing the recipe of Khatti Meethi (Sweet & Sour) Dal which I learned from my mother. This everyday Gujarati Dal Recipe is made with Moong Dal (Mung Bean) & Toor Dal (Pigeon Pea). Learn how to make this tempting Dal at home with this step-by-step recipe guide.
- 50g Yellow Moong dal (Mung Bean)
- 50g Toor Dal (Pigeon Pea)
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 80g Jaggery
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Cinnamon & Clove
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- Some Curry Leaves
- Fresh Coriander
- Mix Moong Dal & Toor Dal, Rinse the dal thoroughly under water.
- Add water and pressure cook for five whistles or cooked completely.
- Also, cook Peanuts in a separate bowl with Dal.
- Mash the dal with a whisk or hand blender until smooth.
- Heat cooked Dal in a pan over low flame.
- Add spices – Red Chilli Powder, Kashmiri Chilli Powder, Dhana Jeera Powder, Turmeric Powder and salt.
- Mix well all ingredients.
- Add cooked Peanuts and cook dal until it starts boiling.
- Add ½ cup water.
- Now add Jaggery and Lemon Juice, mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until Jaggery melts completely.
- Switch off the gas after 5 minutes, add fresh coriander and keep aside. Do not stir.
- For Tadka, heat oil in a Tadka Pan.
- Crackle Mustard Seeds, add Cumin Seeds, Cinamon, Clove, Curry Leaves and dry Red Chillies.
- Fry for 5 – 10 seconds.
- Switch off the gas and pour this tempering on Dal, mix well.
- Gujarati Sweet & Sour Dal is ready, serve with Roti or Steamed Rice.
You might also like Traditional Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe
Watch Authentic Gujarati Dal Recipe video in Hindi