Stuffed Kulcha – Aloo Kulcha Recipe
Kulcha Recipe – a type of leavened bread is probably one of the most popular Flatbread in India and Pakistan after Naan. Kulcha is a typical Punjabi recipe. Amritsar, a city in Punjab, is famous for its Amritsari kulchas or Amritsari naan. Today I am sharing an easy recipe of Aloo Kulcha / Stuffed Kulcha. Made from refined flour (Maida) stuffed with Potato mixed with spices to enhance the taste. Naan uses Yeast as a leavening agent whereas Kulcha is made using Baking Powder and Baking Soda. Kulcha typically cooked in the tandoor, but I have cooked it on Tawa. Learn how to make delicious Stuffed Kulcha / Aloo Kulcha at home without Tandoor.
- – For Kulcha Stuffing
- 4 medium size boiled mashed Potato
- 1 tsp. Ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Chat Masala
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- – For Kulcha Dough
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp. Curd
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. Powder Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Kalonji (Nigella sativa)
- Fresh chopped Coriander
- Clarified Butter
- Salt to taste
- – Making Kulcha Dough
- In a large bowl, add All Purpose Flour, Powder Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Oil and Curd, mix well all ingredients.
- Add water as required and prepare the soft dough.
- Cover with lid and keep it aside for 2 hours.
- – Making Aloo Stuffing
- In another bowl, add boiled, mashed Potatoes, Ginger paste, Green Chillies, Garam Masala, Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Chat Masala and some chopped Coriander.
- Mix well all ingredients and keep it aside.
- – Preparing Stuffed Kulcha
- After 2 hours, add some Clarified butter in the dough and gently knead.
- Prepare medium size balls from the dough.
- Add Salt in Potato stuffing and mix well. Make sure you add salt just before preparing Kulcha.
- Roll the dough balls into Rotis.
- Add some Potato stuffing in the centre of Roti and wrap it with sides of the circle and seal the edges, give it a round shape like a ball.
- Press gently, so that stuffing spreads evenly.
- Sprinkle some Kalonji Seeds and some chopped Coriander on the stuffed dough ball.
- Roll it out gently into thick Roti.
- Spread some clarified butter on Tawa using tissue paper.
- Cook Kulcha over the Tawa on medium flame.
- Flip over partially cooked Kulcha and apply some Clarified Butter on top, spread evenly and flip again.
- Cook till it turns Golden Brown.
- Repeat the process and prepare all stuffed Kulchas.
- Serve hot with Punjabi Chole, Curd or Mango Pickle.
You might also like Lachha Paratha / Multilayered Paratha Recipe
Watch Stuffed Kulcha / Aloo Kulcha Recipe video