Instant Farali Handvo | Fasting Food Recipe
Handvo is a traditional Gujarati savoury cake that requires 8 – 10 hours of fermentation. Here I am sharing Instant Farali Handvo recipe, a quick and easy recipe you can prepare during fasting days like Shravan, Navratri, etc. You can make this Handvo with one of the three cooking methods; 1. baking in a Handvo Cooker 2. baking in Oven 3. using a pan. In this recipe, I have made it in a pan on Tawa which requires 15 – 20 minutes of cooking time. Moraiyo/Sama Ke Chawal and Sabudana used as essential ingredients which consumed during Vrat/Upvas.
The batter for Farali Handvo is different from Upvas Idli & Dhokla Recipe I have shared on my channel. You can also add vegetables like Bottle Gourd (Lauki) & Carrot (Gajar) in making this Handvo, but I have cooked it without any vegetables.
- 1 cup Moraiyo/Sama Ke Chawal/Barnyard Millet
- 1/4 cup Sabudana/Tapioca Sago
- 1 & 1/2 to 2 cup Buttermilk
- finely chopped fresh Coriander
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2 Green Chillies sliced
- 1 tsp. Ginger paste
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Sesame Seeds (Til)
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tsp. Soda
- some Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- First of all, coarsely grind Moraiyo & Sabudana in mixer grinder, do not make a fine powder.
- Add the coarsely ground mixture in a large bowl, add Buttermilk as required to prepare the batter.
- I have added 1 & ½ cup Buttermilk; consistency should be same as Idli batter.
- If you are using Fresh Buttermilk, add ½ lemon juice as well.
- Add spices to the batter – chopped Green Chillies, Ginger paste, Turmeric Powder, Salt and fresh chopped Coriander.
- You can also add Carrot or Bottle Gourd at this stage.
- Mix well all ingredients and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add Soda and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add Cumin seeds, Sesame Seeds, Curry Leaves & Green Chillies in hot oil, let them crackle for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the Handvo Batter into the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 – 15 minutes over low flame until the bottom surface turns golden brown.
- After 15 minutes, flip it gently, cover with a lid and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes over low flame until another side turns golden brown.
- Switch off the gas.
- Instant Farali Handvo is ready to serve.
- Serve Farali Handvo with Upvas Chutney or Tea.
You might also like Farali Khandvi Rolls Recipe
Watch Instant Farali Handvo Recipe video in Hindi