Sama Ki Khichdi
Sama ki Khichdi, also known as Moraiyo Khichdi, is usually made during fasting days like Sharavan, Ekadashi or Navratri. Sama Ke Chawal, known by many names like Moraiyo, Moraiya, Mordhan, Samak or Vrat Ke Chawal. In English, it’s known as Barnyard Millet.
This savoury Khichdi made with Sama Ke Chawal and Potatoes. This Upvas Khichdi is best served with Sweet Curd. Check out the step-by-step recipe of Sama Khichdi and also learn how to make Sweet Curd.
- ½ cup Sama Ke Chawal / Barnyard Millet
- 2 medium-size Potato
- ¼ cup Roasted Peanuts
- 8 – 10 Cashew
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 4 Green Chillies
- Some Curry Leaves
- Rock Salt / Sendha Namak
- 2 tbsp. Clarified Butter
Ingredients for Sweet Curd
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 – 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 pinch Rock Salt
- ½ tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp. Clarified Butter
- 2 – 3 Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- Wash Sama Ke Chawal 2 – 3 times with fresh water and soak for just 5 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in small cubes.
- Heat Ghee over medium flame in a non-stick pan.
- Add cumin seeds in hot ghee & sauté for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Now add curry leaves & green chillies, sauté for another 30 – 40 seconds.
- Add roasted peanuts & cashews, sauté until they turn light golden brown.
- After that, add potato cubes and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add soaked Sama Ke Chawal, 2 & half cup water and mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
- After 5 – 7 minutes, stir well and again cover with the lid, cook for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Switch off the gas, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- To make Sweet Curd
- Add Sugar and Rock Salt in the curd, mix well.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Pour the tadka in curd, mix well.
- Serve hot Sama Ki Khichdi with sweet curd.
You might also like Instant Farali Uthappa Recipe
Watch Sama Ki Khichdi Recipe Video