Balushahi is a traditional dessert in Indian, Nepali and Bangladeshi cuisine. Balushahis are made of Maida flour (All Purpose Flour), and are deep-fried in clarified butter and then dipped in sugar syrup. Learn how to make Balushahi at home with this step-by-step recipe.
- 2 cup All Purpose flour (Maida)
- 2 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp. Curd
- 5 tbsp. Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1/4 tsp. Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) for deep fry
- Dry fruits for garnish
- Take All Purpose Flour in a large bowl, add Soda, Salt and mix well.
- Add Curd, Clarified Butter (Ghee) and mix well.
- Add water little by little and prepare a soft dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- To make Sugar Syrup, add Sugar in a heavy bottom pan, add water and boil. Stir until Sugar is dissolved. Boil till you get 1 string consistency of syrup.
- Make equal size small balls from the dough, make a slight dent in the centre of the ball with your thumb.
- Add Clarified Butter in a frying pan and heat over low flame.
- When Ghee is hot, gently slide in the prepared dough balls and deep-fry on low heat.
- Gradually the Balushahi will start floating to the top. Fry till it turns golden on both sides.
- Remove them from Ghee when they turn golden and keep on a plate.
- After 1 minute, soak deep-fried Balushahi in Sugar Syrup for about 1 minute and then remove from Syrup and place on a serving plate.
- Garnish with Dry fruits and serve.
You might also like Homemade Instant Thandai Recipe
Watch Balushahi Recipe video in Hindi