Rajasthani Panchmel Dal – Panchratna Dal Recipe
Panchmel Dal or Panchratna Dal or Panchkuti Dal Recipe, as the name suggests, made from 5 Dals (lentils) is a famous traditional Recipe of Rajasthan. Lentils Contain lots of protein and nutritious. 5 different Dals cooked together with spices. Tempering of cumin with Ghee (Clarified Butter) gives it a perfect rich taste and strong aroma you can’t resist.
- 1/4th cup Red Lentils (Masur Dal)
- 1/4th cup Split Pigeon Peas (Toor Dal)
- 1/4th cup Split Black Gram Lentils (Urad Dal)
- 1/4th cup Split Chickpeas (Chana Dal)
- 1/4th cup Split Mung Beans (Yellow Moong Dal)
- 1 finely chopped Tomato
- Fresh Coriander chopped
- Two dry Red Chillies
- 8 – 10 Curry Leaves
- Two Green Chillies sliced
- One tbsp. Garlic sliced
- One tsp. Ginger finely chopped
- One tsp. Cumin Seeds
- One tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- Two tsp. Dhana Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 2 pinch Asafetida (Hig)
- Salt to taste
- One tbsp. Oil
- Three tbsp. Clarified butter (Ghee)
- Mix all Dals in a bowl, rinse with fresh water couple of times.
- Soak dal in 1 & ½ cup water for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, pressure cook dal for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Heat Oil and Clarified butter together in a pan over medium flame.
- Add Ginger, Garlic, Dry Red Chilli, Curry Leaves and Asafetida, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Now add cooked dal and mix well.
- After 1 minute, add chopped Tomatoes & Sliced Green Chillies, mix well.
- Add all the spices (except Garam Masala), Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Dhana Jeera Masala and Salt.
- Mix well and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add water if required.
- After 5 minutes, switch off the gas and add Garam Masala & fresh Coriander, mix well.
- Heat Clarified butter in a tadka pan.
- Add Cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Pour the tadka into Dal, mix well.
- Rajasthani Panchmel Dal / Panchratna Dal is ready to serve.
- Serve with Bati, Roti, Naan or Rice.
You might also like Authentic Gujarati Dal Recipe
Watch Rajasthani Panchmel Dal Recipe video in Hindi