Upvas Idli & Upvas Dhokla Recipe for Fasting Days
Here I am sharing a unique and Instant Idli and Dhokla Recipe for Upvas made from Moraiyo (Sama Ke Chawal) which you can eat for fasting or during regular days too. Moraiyo (Barnyard Millet / Sama Rice) used for making unique dishes during Shravan & fasting days in India. Follow this step by step recipe of How to make Upvas Idli and Upvas Dhokla at home.
- 1 cup Barnyard Millet / Moraiyo / Sama Rice
- 1 cup Curd
- 2 tbsp. Tapioca Sago (Sabudana)
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Soda
- Salt to taste
- Some Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp. Ginger & Green Chilli Paste
- Red Chilli Powder (Optional)
- Coarsely grind dry Moraiyo and dry Sabudana in a mixer grinder.
- Remove the ground powder in a bowl.
- Add Curd and mix well.
- Add water as required to prepare the batter as we make for Idli batter.
- Keep aside and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease the Idli stand with Oil.
- After 15 minutes, add Salt in the Batter and mix well.
- Divide the Batter into two equal portions, one for Idli and other for Dhokla.
- – Preparing Upvas Idli
- Add 1/4th tsp. Soda in one portion of the batter, mix well.
- Pour the Batter into the moulds.
- Place the moulds in the Steamer
- Steam Idlis for 10 minutes in Idli Cooker or Steamer
- After 10 minutes, switch off the Gas but remove Idlis from the cooker after 5 minutes.
- Remove Idlis from the Idli stand and serve hot.
- – Preparing Upvas Dhokla
- Grease Dhokla plate with Oil.
- In the second portion of the Batter, add Ginger & Chilli Paste, Soda and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the Dhokla Plate.
- Sprinkle some Red Chilli Powder.
- Place the Dhokla Plate in the Steamer.
- Cover with the lid and steam Dhokla for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the gas but remove Dhokla after 5 minutes.
- Remove Dhokla plates from the steamer.
- Cut Dhoklas into small squares or diamond shaped pieces.
- For Tadka, heat Oil in a Tadka Pan.
- Add Green Chillies & Curry Leaves, let them crackle.
- Switch off the gas and spread the Tadka over Dhokla.
- Serve Upvas Idli & Upvas Dhokla with Upvas Coconut Chutney; you can watch the recipe on my YouTube Channel.
You might also like Upvas Chutney Recipe for Fasting Days
Watch Upvas Idli & Upvas Dhokla Recipe video in Hindi